Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Home Created With Ingenuity & An Eye On The Bottom Line

"Megan from 'little me, big God' shares how she and her husband have managed to create a beautiful and comfortable home for themselves and their family...and have not bought a single new piece of furniture in the last five years!"

Five years of marriage, two years of stay-at-home-motherhood and a growing appreciation for modern frugality has taught me that my ideal home is made of stories, character and experience which requires mostly imagination and elbow grease rather than a lot of shopping.

It helps that my husband Joey is an uber-talented wood-worker, usually up for a challenge and mostly indifferent about my design adventures. His eye for style trends toward traditional, which helps rein my eclectic, artistic-trending eye in a bit. We have managed to avoid purchasing a single piece of furniture over the course of our home-making and talk about the “one day when we buy a sofa” like it’s the day we will win the lottery – our first stop will be the furniture store.

In the meantime, we use Mom’s – a decade-old Broyhill that’s holding up as well as can be expected – and flank it with a glass-top discount table and the first table Joey ever made (in the back yard, from a child’s chest of drawers a neighbor threw out six years ago).


Most of the artwork is original, including home-made frames and prints, a couple of original graphic oil paintings and the massive abstract oil painting my son mastered in the driveway when he was 18-months-old.


The curtains in our living and master bedrooms are big box home store drop cloths, cut and clipped to make drapes.


In our bedroom Joey re-created a headboard I fell in love with on a website, for about a quarter of the retail price. I use inexpensive, discount white quilts for bedding and change out the pillows to fit my mood.


Our son’s room is complete with a one-of-a-kind crib and dresser/changing table. Other thrifty decorations in Waylon's room include more original artwork, safari photos from a calendar and a home-made mobile.



I day dream about the improvements I would make if we owned our house - a new fireplace and mantel, a complete paint job, kitchen makeover and numerous other projects! But as a rental, it calls for temporary and quick alterations. I am proud of our intrepid frugality in our money-focused world and am in love with a home made of our own collaborative designs, hand-me-downs and thrift and discount store finds.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

love the striped rug!!!

Desiree Guy @ Camelot Art Creations said...

I love seeing "doing what you can with a rental" I am doing the same thing right now, with no money as well. It is more challenging than if you owned and had the money do purchase what you "really" want:)

Great job!

Desiree
www.CamelotArtCreations.blogspot.com

Desiree Guy @ Camelot Art Creations said...

If you don't mind me asking what color are your walls in your living room?

megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
megan said...

Good question, Desiree! I recall buying it a Lowe's and it being much darker and gray-er than I intended. I was going for a pale-er "greige". I can tell you, however, in my next home, I will buy a higher-quality/more expensive paint that will hold and clean up better. And it will be lighter!

Pauline Wiles said...

Wonderful abstract art by your son!

Allison said...

Megan did a fabulous job! The striped rug really adds a fun and modern touch to the living room. Great fabric on the cube ottomans and how wonderful to hang an abstract masterpiece made by her 18 month old. I love that! The nursery is cute with the royal blue walls and animal prints. The white frames really pop against the blue. Nice job!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

It truly is a great sense of accomplishment when you creative a stylish home using ingenuity, skill, cleverness, and plan old-fashioned hard work. Megan and Joey make a great team and should revel in the fact that they've created a loving, warm home for their family; with or without a big bank roll. Bravo!