Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Beauty Tip: Don't Skimp on the Sunscreen!

As I begin to look forward to my 50th birthday, I thought I'd share a little beauty tip that has worked for me: avoid the sun, or at least manage exposure in a smart way. If you are in your twenties, thirties or even forties, trust me, you'll thank me years from now!


When it comes to sun exposure, by default I've been lucky. I grew up in Nome, later moving to Seward, finishing high school and working the next several summers in the fisheries to pay for college. Try as I might, I was not going to get a tan. The rays were simply not strong enough and it was a rare day the temperature would hit a point that you would actually want to expose much skin!


1971


1976

Tanning was simply not possible. Not that I didn't want one. I read my beloved Seventeen magazines, looking at what girls in other parts of the country looked like. Lots of golden tanned skin! In addition, one of my biggest role models (seriously?!?) was my Suntan Barbie, complete which deep tan and long blond hair.

(Side note: My grandmother would stitch up all kinds of fabulous little outfits and send to me. I've saved them all and I just get such a kick out of seeing these once popular styles!)


Once I had children, however, I did begin to spend more time in the sun. A lot less time working indoors and a lot more time enjoying the outdoors with the kids! But I knew if I wanted to avoid sun damage and all that goes with that, I needed to get serious about using sunscreen.


Today my absolute favorite sunscreen for the face is from Peter Thomas Roth, Uber-dry SPF 30. Why? It truly does go on completely dry. This formula leaves no greasy film on your face, as many sunscreens do, which in my book is the biggest deterrent to applying sunscreen on a regular basis!


But at the same time, who wants to look like they've walked off the screen of the Twilight series! To get a sun- kissed look simply brush on a bit of bronzer. My favorite? Warmth by Bare Minerals.

What is your favorite beauty tip?

8 comments:

Kathysue said...

I am with you on this one!! Being a born and raised California gal, I baked in the son in my youth. By time I was in my 30s all the warnings started coming out and I protected my skin. I never expose my face to the sun anymore without sunscreen. If I know I am going to have a day out in the sun I use Neurtrogena's spf 100 for the face. It really works. I also have a spf 15 in my makeup when I use foundation!! The best new product I have found is rose-hip oil by Trilogy,it is a natural oil to help scarring and fine lines. I noticed a huge difference in my skin texture after using it only 3 weeks. I swear by this stuff, I wish I had a vat of it!!! I use it on my face and then apply my moisture cream. Love it!! Kathysue

Unknown said...

Yes this is definitely the BEST beauty tip ever! I'm half Puerto Rican so I'm naturally tan but I've worn sunscreen everyday since I was a teen (one of those things my mom made me do.) I worked in the cosmetics/skincare industry for a few years and I learned a great deal about good skin care and sun protection is rule #1! Good choice with the Roth screen - I'd never recommend anything less than a 25. Most people don't know this but a good face screen can actually make your foundation go on smoother as it acts like a primer for your skin. Also, one mistake lots of people make is not using enough - in the case of sunscreen especially on the face it's a more is better case. I also think you should apply it from below the collar bone up (your neck ages too and should be protected). Love this topic -as you can tell :) Great tip!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Great info, I do forget or skimp on the neck! Janell

Tami said...

Ali Edward shared a great video on her blog this morning, it ties in well with your post. 'My 16 Year Old Self'.

I shared your lovely advice this morning,thank you!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Tami,
Just went and listened to this post, very powerful. Here is the link if anyone else would like to view:

http://aliedwards.com/2011/05/dear-16-year-old-me-skin-cancer-awareness.html

pve design said...

Smart lady! I think the sun can feel so good in small protected doses. I wonder about some products and worry - I love "The Gardener's Cottage" - she is an esthetician and uses Aveda, Green Science products.
I also like Bobbi Brown products.
pve

Anonymous said...

Oh, bareMinerals: I've been using it for almost five years and love love love! The only way to go. I use another color bronzer: will check and look at yours.
I'm loving the sunscreen from Whole Foods right now with a lavender scent...nice to put on in the morning...but yes, it is greasy for a while. Thanks for the tips!

Julian Levi said...

Hair Extensions 100% remy human hair clip in hair extensions.