Thursday, August 4, 2011

Not Just A Housewife

Editing HOF for errors is a job I work diligently at, but inevitably something is going to be missed. This issue, Not Just A Housewife was written as Not Just ANOTHER Housewife in the article, 'Stencils: An Affordable and Stylish Alternative to Wallpaper!' Oh, shoot!


Stacy was very gracious about the situation, and I had the opportunity to get to know her and her blog a little better! Starting with complete clarification on the name of her blog!


Janell: Hi Stacy, I'm always curious why people begin writing a blog,  why did you start yours?

Stacy: I started my blog when I realized that there were blogs out there other than family blogs. I had always wanted to share the many projects I do, but never knew how. I was excited to finally have a way to do it.

Q: What has been the most surprising thing that has come from writing your blog?

A: I didn't expect to have my blog grow so quickly. Don't get me wrong, I am happy and feel so blessed, but it feels weird too. I didn't expect to have my followers be so loyal and supportive. I thought they would read it but I am blown away at the emails and comments that I get daily. I love my readers!

Q: What is your motivation for blogging, how do you stay inspired to keep at it?

A: I love showing people how to do things. As a stay at home mom my opportunities to teach and share were so limited before blogging. There would be the occasional opportunity to teach a group of ladies how to use power tools, or some young women to paint, but over all I didn't have many chances. I love that with blogging I can still be an at home mom, but also have the chance to motivate others to try new things. When I get an email from a reader who built something for the first time after reading my blog, well, THAT is my motivation.

Q: I love your answer! It's amazing the new opportunities that are arising for moms who want to be able to stay at home. What do you see for your future in terms of blogging and your work?

A: When I started I had NO idea I would be on TV, in magazines, and featured all over the web. So to guess what my future holds is kind of hard. I guess I will just keep doing what I am doing and hope I will be able to reach even more people. I would love to work with more brands. Wouldn't it be nice to have some or all of your projects paid for??? I should work on that. . .

Q: Oh yes, I like the getting projects paid for part! I enjoyed seeing that happen when I worked on tutorials for HGTV.com! How do you balance working on projects, blogging and your other responsibilities?

A: I don't really have a balance! I do try to work on projects when the kids are sleeping, playing with friends, or my hubby is home, When I focus on a project my house goes to the crapper and when I focus on the house I get nothing else done. I just go into a project knowing that. I usually take a day to deep clean when a project is done and then I take the next day to just sit and enjoy the project and the clean house. And then it is off to the next project!

Q: Yes, we do have to remember to stop and enjoy our accomplishments! What is one thing your readers would be surprised to learn about you?

A: I am not sure if there is anything they don't already know. I am a pretty open book and I try to keep it real. Ummm . . . I shave my arms. If I don't, I am as hairy as a woodsman. No joke. I have shaved them since I was 15 and I love it.

Okay, that is pretty funny. A fact I wouldn't have predicted, looking at your beautiful picture!


And here are the results of some of her projects:





Make sure to stop on over and visit Not Just A Housewife!

4 comments:

annechovie said...

Thanks for sharing this interview with us Janell, Stacy's work is lovely. xx

Stacy CUrran said...

Stacy's blog is fantastic.....I'm a frequent reader and loyal follower! Great interview!
Stacy

Michelle@ourwonderfilledlife.com said...

I recently found Stacy's blog and love it, so great you featured her Janell!!

Michelle

Allison said...

Fun interview, Janell! I'll have to pop over and visit Stacy's blog.