Monday, March 26, 2012

Can't Find The Perfect Lamp? Use A Vase!

I came across this design on Pinterest last week, and when clicking over to see the resource I was taken to Houzz, where someone suggested this lamp might have been made from a 1940's vase. What a fantastic idea, if you can't find just the right lamp, how about looking for a vase and put your DIY skills to work! (Or find a great lamp shop to work with like Naomi's here in Portland.)


Design by Emily Ruddo

A designer to be featured in the upcoming issue of House of Fifty did just such a project. When a pair of fantastically (expensive) vintage Italian lamps were spied on 1stdibs, perfect for a project but not the budget, the look was replicated on a budget by finding look-alike vases.


Cassity from Remodelaholic turned a glass vase she had on hand into a lamp when her search for a "glass bottle" lamp came up empty. The result is not only great but she makes it look easy!

{vase before}

{the supplies}

 {vase after...a lamp}
And all types of vases can work, ones with larger openings. I found a helpful tutorial at Southern Living showing how to turn these type of vases into lamps.


"Following the instructions on the box of plaster of Paris, mix enough to fill about one-fourth the depth of your pot. The plaster dries quickly, so be ready to pour immediately after mixing. Center the pipe, socket side up, (yes, that would be smart!) inside the pot."

How about that? I never knew...


I want to try this project! Have you?

10 comments:

debra @ 5th and state said...

brilliant!!!

the search is on for the right vase, thank you
debra

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous idea!! This could be a lot of peoples answers to an on-going problem of not finding the perfect lamp!! Thanks for the tutorial too ;)

Molly @ The Nesting Game said...

My grandmother was always doing this. I remember going with her to the lamp shop time and time again.

In our bedroom, we have little bird lamps---figurines that she had mounted to a base and a lamp built around them. They are not for everyone, but I love them and they make me think of her.

You can see them here:
http://thenestinggame.com/nest-tour-2/nest-tour-master-bedroom/

Today's Treasure by Jen said...

Great idea... I follow you on Pinterest but must have missed this. I have just the vase, a 60+ year old very large blue & white Delft vase. Next stop, the hardware store. Thanks for all the fun info, ~Jen

Merlin said...

Talk about "one of a kind!" Enlightening!! franki

Chris said...

Hi Janell, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Cyndia said...

I love making lamps out of vases and other decorative items. Old trophies, porcelain animals, etc.. My most recent was one that I made for a client. She found a vase at Pier One that she was crazy over, and kept saying "if we could just find a lamp like THAT". So I made it for her.

jhaslag said...

Cyndia
Was there any issue with breaking the vase when you make the hole for the cord?

joy said...

Your very own vases was so nice and artistic. I love it. I feel like making one. Thanks for sharing your talent and creativity it is very well appreciated. Visit my site too for some fun stuff. Good luck !

n8fan.net

www.n8fan.net

Unknown said...

You definitely have some great insight and great stories.
koglenlampe.dk