Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What To Do When That Perfect Find Smells of Smoke

Have you ever looked and looked for a specific item on Craigslist, finally finding it - only to discover, upon arriving to pick it up, that it's been living with a smoker (or two) for years and years?


Well that is what happened to some friends of mine. This past weekend my family enjoyed spending time at their beach house, where I spied this vintage console that was the result of a patient search on Craigslist. And yes, it had been living with a smoker.

When I mentioned how much I loved the piece, I was asked if the room still smelled. What? No. That is when I learned about the tip.


If an item smells of smoke, put coffee grounds in the drawers to "eat up" the smell.
It may take a little while, but it will work!


Well, how about that. Did you know this little tidbit of information? 

If not, next time you are in a similar situation, don't pass on that perfect piece you've finally discovered, simple reach for the coffee grounds. 

6 comments:

Kelli said...

that is a beautiful piece - would hate to pass it up! great tip.

Vintage Market Place said...

beautiful piece and great tip!!
Amy

Karen said...

Wish I'd known that tip years ago. I was thrilled to find a small white dresser for my little girl's room years back only to get it home and have the whole room reeking of cigarette smoke within minutes. I put it out to the curb and it was gone the next morning.

The Pink Pagoda said...

Oh my that's a gorgeous piece of furniture!!

Unknown said...

Great Tip!!! I have an estate sale Chesterfield couch that smells a little smokey or musty.... got any tips for that? L

Merlin said...

Hmmm, never heard about coffee...have heard that charcoal helps and crumpled damp newspaper...I like coffee! franki