Friday, August 19, 2011

The Problem With Comparison

Spotted recently on a friend's Facebook page, this caught my attention.


Oh, is this ever true. 

Whenever I find myself tempted to compare something I've achieved or something about myself with another person or their accomplishment, I can literally feel the joy seeping away from me. You'll always be able to find someone smarter, more talented, more accomplished, prettier, funnier, something just better.

So, I've learned to stop. (Well mostly...telling myself, oh don't go there, when I start down this path!) 
 Because of the above, and because of what follows:

Another downfall of comparison (when you find yourself coming up on the short end), is the tendency to then want to find fault with the other person or accomplishment, simply to make ourselves feel better. 

It's just not worth it, is it?

8 comments:

Kathysue said...

Never worth it, I learned that early on. Comparing is telling my self I don't quite measure up,now why would I do that when I am doing my best. So my motto is be who I am and be teh st ME I can be. So far it has worked out just fine in my life. Kathysue

Lori @ Lori May Interiors said...

So very true! Thanks for the post and have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

I need to tatoo this to my arm, so I never forget it. Ok, maybe not that drastic...But I do plan on printing it and putting it somewhere visible:)

patrice said...

Such true words! Another thing I have learned in this whole comparing thing is - I always compare that someone's best, against my weakness..... I always come up way short in the whole deal. Thanks for the quote I have never seen that before. Hope you have a delightful weekend.

Heather said...

i just peeked through your latest issue! so beautiful - great job - best of luck!

Molly @ The Nesting Game said...

I needed this this week. Thanks, Janell. :)

aimee said...

i just looked at the link for the magazine wooooow i love it its so great. how do i get it xxx

Anonymous said...

Wow, Janell, I was right about you. You are a good leader, with a strong ethical base (sorry if I'm sounding judgmental). I just read this post - after I wrote a post about your two editorials in House of Fifty. You are an inspiring leader, and your influence will reach far and wide... mark my words :)
Please see my article in: www.karboojeh.wordpress.com